Wincobank Living History

Wincobank Hill in has been a site of cultural significance to the people of Sheffield for Millennia.

In 2011 Sheffield City Council commissioned Arc Heritage to publish a report of the archaeological and geological background of the site itself and a 1km study area around the site in order to provide a context for the identification and understanding of this important historical resource.

Find out more; Explore the map, timeline, themes and tags.


8000-4000 BC:
Mesolithic activity on the site, possibly a temporary camp where flint blades were manufactured.
Find out more

Bronze Age:
Possible Bronze Age burial mounds recorded in the vicinity of the hillfort in the 18th century, removed 'about the year 1795'. No associated Bronze Age artefacts recorded, though a flint knife of this period was found in Wincobank Wood in the 19th century.
Find out more

500 BC:
Probable construction date of Wincobank Hillfort, based on radiocarbon dating. Iron Age activity in the area is suggested by beehive querns (corn milling stones) found in the woods.
Find out more

AD 51:
Construction of Templeborough Roman fort, which marked the northern limit of the Roman Military Zone until the subjugation of Brigantia, to the north of the River Don, c.AD
Find out more

The Roman fort may have been built partly to neutralise the potential threat of the hillfort.
Find out more

AD 100-400:
Occupation of the hillfort is likely to have been sporadic during the Roman period, though several pieces of 2nd-century Roman ceramic and a coin of Constantius Chlorus (AD 305-306) were recovered from the hillfort and its immediate vicinity. There is currently no evidence to indicate that the hillfort was involved in the Brigantian revolts against Roman rule in the 2nd and early 3rd centuries, and the site is likely to have been reclaimed by the wood by the 4th century.
Find out more

Early medieval period:
The site was possibly part of the British kingdom of Elmet in the post-Roman period, before coming under Anglo-Saxon control in the late 6th/early 7th centuries. It was then located along the southern border of Northumbria, and the hillfort may have been reoccupied periodically during outbreaks of hostility between Northumbria and Mercia. There is currently no archaeological evidence for any rebuilding or reoccupation of the hillfort during this period.
Find out more

Wincobank recorded as 'Winckley', possibly derived from the Old English 'Wineca's ley', meaning 'Wineca's forest clearing'.
Find out more

Place-name 'Winkowe' recorded, with the earlier 'Wineca' element supplemented by the Old English or Old Norse 'lowe/haugr', both of which mean 'mound' and may relate to the summit of the hill.
Find out more

16th to 17th century:
Wincobank Wood was managed for the Earl of Shrewsbury's estate as a ‘spring’ (coppice) wood. During the 17th century, the hillfort's eastern bank and ditch were levelled when a field boundary was built along the line of the ditch.
Find out more

Farm called 'Le Wynkeabancke' first recorded in a document of this date. The farm later became Wincobank Hall.
Find out more

Late 18th century:
Wincobank Hall and its estates purchased by John Sparrow, and the hall substantially rebuilt. 1790: Cottages shown on Winco Wood Lane, to the north-east of the hillfort, on a map of the lands associated with Wincobank Hall. Their date of construction is unknown, but it has been suggested that they were 16th-century in origin, with later modifications.
Find out more

Joseph Read purchased Wincobank Hall and further land near the hillfort. Read laid out gardens and pleasure grounds, meadows and plantations of 'exceeding beauty'.
Find out more

Winco Wood Lane shown as a 'bridle path to Sheffield' on an 1837 sale plan of Wincobank Hall and its estate. The hall was purchased by Joseph Read's daughter, Mary Rawson. The plan also showed a quarry at the junction of Winco Wood Lane and Jenkin Road.
Find out more

A plan showed a coal mine shaft within the quarry at Jenkin Road.
Find out more

The Poor Law survey map showed the Winco Wood Lane cottages as a row of six properties, three of which were very small.
Find out more

Construction began on 'Wincobank Castle', a tower house built by George Parkin, a former teacher, close to the north edge of the hillfort. The house was completed in 1907.
Find out more

Grimesthorpe Colliery had been established by this date.
Find out more

Archaeological excavation at Wincobank Hillfort, directed by Elijah Howarth, curator of Sheffield Museum, from August to October.
Find out more

Final sale of timber from Wincobank Wood.
Find out more

The Duke of Norfolk presented the hillfort and 48 acres of Wincobank Wood to the people of Sheffield. A second archaeological excavation was undertaken at the hillfort by the staff of Sheffield Museum.
Find out more

The OS map of this date showed allotments in the western part of Wincobank Wood.
Find out more

An anti-aircraft gun emplacement was constructed on the south side of the hillfort, to counter potential Zeppelin air raids.
Find out more

During the Second World War, the tower at Wincobank Castle was used as an observation post. The anti-aircraft gun emplacement was also brought back into use and a searchlight was located to the south-west of the hillfort. A barrage balloon was also located along Wincobank Hill, while part of Winco Wood Lane was reinforced to allow access for military vehicles.
Find out more

Wincobank Castle was demolished in 1960. The cottages at Winco Wood Lane were subject to a compulsory purchase order in the early 1960s and had become largely derelict by 1967. They had been demolished by the time of the 1973 OS map.
Find out more

Yorkshire Television were granted permission to place a Radio Links Can on the top of Wincobank Hill, as the site's elevation made it an effective transmission location. The hill was also used for this purpose during BBC coverage of the World Snooker Championships in Sheffield.
Find out more

Archaeological watching brief conducted by Pauline Beswick during the cutting of a drainage ditch through the hillfort's rampart.
Find out more

How to use this site

You can explore the site by clicking on points of interest on the map above.

The Timeline gives an overview of the complete history of Wincobank Hill.

Dive into the living history of Wincobank Hill using the Themes and Periods menu to the far left.

The tag cloud is a visual representaion of all the search terms on the site.

In order to make the findings of the archaeological report accessible to as wide an audience as possible. Arc Heritage and the Friends of Wincobank Hill Society kindly continue to contribute further interpretative content to this website. 

You can explore this content using the interactive elements of the site. Please contribute to the debate or add your stories using the comments threads. We hope you enjoy Wincobanks living history.  

Browse Tags

anti-aircraft archaeology hill fort industry iron slag ironworking roman ridge wincobank 'castle' wincobank hall wincobank wood wood lane cottages


All news

Latest comments